HOVERRACE.COM: fast - fun - free

HoverRace is an open-source 3D racing game.
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:22 pm 
Nope, just stating the facts....

Anyone who watches Hustle can understand how important the small and insignificant people can be when trying to get something big lol.

Sometimes a lot of short cons can help with the long con.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:24 pm 
Source Developer

Skel, don't be ridiculous.

If you want to be paranoid only put yourself in the DMZ and turn off your firewalls when you're racing.

If you're not paranoid you'll probably be fine either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:08 pm 
lol, I'm not paranoid... I have a degree in Software Engineering... I have an advanced knowledge in networking and security and know the risks a person takes by just going online at all.

Anyone in the computing industry knows that the Internet will never be 100% safe....

Identity theft, phising and credit card fraud are on the rise and hackers will use any holes they find to exploit people like you who know very little about computing or how the internet actually works.

If you don't believe me you can check the statistics and read up on how these crimes are being done without people knowing.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:11 pm 
Also, anyone who has any questions on this matter should refer to professional computing websites and not listen to the viewpoints of people here who may have biased views on the issue.

Want to find out, read up on it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:07 pm 

i thought most people knew there was a risk doing credit online >.>

i always figured idenity theft was like kidnapping in the way that it's done by people who could be potentially close to you.

-kit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:13 pm 
Source Developer

Skel, you're spreading FUD. There's no denying that, even though you will anyway. I was taught not to feed the trolls, but it seems my teachings have failed me.

Skel wrote:
Also, anyone who has any questions on this matter should refer to professional computing websites and not listen to the viewpoints of people here who may have biased views on the issue.

This applies to you, too. Degree or no degree, you can still be wrong. You make it seem as if anyone who connects their computer to the internet WILL be infected immediately. Certainly there ARE risks, but (in my 'uneducated' opinion, as I am not in the possession of a shiny degree) they are, for the most part, negligible. I'm surprised you haven't pulled out the study where they connected an unfirewalled, DMZed, unpatched Windows box and found it was only twenty minutes until it was infected. Or maybe you did pull it out, but I can only read through so much FUD before I become disinterested.

Okay, let's take a further look at that. What was it infected by? Not an actual person sitting at a computer finding their way in, I'll tell you that much! The study never explicitly says what the computer was infected by, but I am relatively sure it was something that can easily be removed with some adware/spyware detection programs.

Plus, on top of that, it was an unpatched system. Keep yourself up to date with Microsoft Update and you'll be fine. Or, switch to Linux and make nearly all the viruses and worms ineffective. And if you're really paranoid, don't do banking online, and don't keep sensitive data on your computer!

All in all, I think your intentions are most certainly mischevious, if not flat out antagonistic. However, with FUD, he who speaks last and loudest wins. I think this topic (maybe after one more go-round) needs to be locked.

The risks presented by DMZing your computer are, for the most part, negligible, provided you're not doing anything stupid or dumb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 am 

I Am Woman Hear Me Roar!

-kit

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2