HOVERRACE.COM: fast - fun - free

HoverRace is an open-source 3D racing game.
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Was I threatened?
Yes, it seems that way. 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Not sure to be honest. 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
No, he didn't threaten you. 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 11
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:38 am 
Site Admin

Had a chat with Vigilante earlier and this was the context of the conversation, I felt like I was being threatened by him if I didn't comply with what he wanted, what do you think?

Quote:
Vigilante says:
'ello...
Austin says:
hi
Vigilante says:
The room is up, and I've made .exe's for itm so do you want to put them on HR.com now?
Austin says:
no
Austin says:
: /
Vigilante says:
Why not?
Austin says:
when did i say i was putting exe's on hr.com?
Vigilante says:
You didn't, but I also know that you don't want to split the community, so it only makes sense to have it available on HoverRace.com, besides the update I have only adds to what is already there, and is around 200KB.
Austin says:
are you threatening me?
Austin says:
it sounds like a threat to me
Vigilante says:
Not this again..
Vigilante says:
How?
Vigilante says:
I said it only makes sense to have it on HR.com.
Austin says:
saying "you don't want to split the community" sounds like a threat to me, i'm going anyways, had enough of this for now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:46 am 
Source Developer

Here's the other information about this situation I've managed to scrounge up:

1. Gothrey (what the hell name do you want to be called? I still don't know) is hosting his own room.

2. This room requires a different .exe to get into.

3. He wants the file hosted for download on HR.com so that people can get the .exe and go into his room.

What I read didn't really look like a threat, and if it was it's certainly an empty one, because, honestly, who can he split? He'll take himself and maybe one other person?

But aside from the threat part, I think this is a dumb idea to begin with. Who would want to download a -different- .exe just to get into a different room that the majority of players wiil never go into? It just seems like a waste of time and more confusion for new players to me. So I think it's a bad idea and the files shouldn't be hosted here. I am interested in why a different .exe is needed, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:41 am 

i really dont know enough about the english lang to know if thats a threat, but afaik this can be viewed two ways.

1) Vigilante saying:
ive made a mod to hoverrace which im gonna be distrubiting, and id love it if you would put it on the offical site!

2) Vigilante saying:
ive made a mod to hoverrace, if you dont host it on the offical site, ill host it elsewhere.

IMO those really are the same thing, just phrased a bit differently, and Vigilante put it somewhere in the middle

i think, he thinks his mod adds value, which would like to spread through HR.com, but the phrasing of him persuading you was unfortunate
though, i dont know XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:17 pm 
First off, it definitely wasn't a threat. I think some people on HR have gotten so used to their positions that they consider any sort of change a threat to that position...

I'm not out to split the community, or do anything bad with HR in general. I'm here to help, and make some changes that I think are nice.

Igglybob, the two reasons why you need a different .exe to enter the Oldbies_Room:
1. HaP made a change in part of the way the IMR adds people to it (I'm not telling anyone the change because I'm sure HaP doesn't want anyone else knowing, so don't bother asking), and I haven't changed it in my IMR.
2. In the current .exe's, you can't have Reg IDs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:19 pm 
Also, I have hosted the file elsewhere, and the few people that I've shown the Website to like it so far. It's not really great, and it's more of just a slightly modified clone of what the next GrokkSoft.com was supposed to be (before it died), but it's still kewl for nostalgia.

Also, once I'm done messing with the Website so that I know everyone won't be offended by it, I'll submit it to the HR.com WebRing.

I hope it's good enough to be a part of it...

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:22 pm 
Source Developer

1. Make the change in your IMR.

2. I've never understood the push for reg keys once again. If you really want it, just put it on the end of your name. Sure, it's all that 'nostalgic goodness' and crap, but seriously, who wants to register for a free game? I think it's a dumb idea to actually implement as a regular thing. Sure, it's a cool project (not to shoot you down SF; but I don't know if you'll even see this), but in all honestly, I think implementing it would drive people away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:24 pm 
1. I was thinking of doing that.
2. I just like the old registration system? Plus, I think it'd be better, because that way we could just give registrations to the newbies who actually stay. That's just what I think though.

Actually, I'll add the change to my IMR now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:28 pm 
Source Developer

Vigilante wrote:
Plus, I think it'd be better, because that way we could just give registrations to the newbies who actually stay. That's just what I think though.

Okay, that's the only valid point I see. A newbie could get 'status' by getting a reg key. I wasn't here in the old days, so I'm not really familiar with the status change that goes along with getting a reg key. But I think it would be more work than it would be worth - someone would have to keep track of who gets the keys and when they get given out and other stuff like that.

More hassle = less players. That's what I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:42 pm 
I already have that system all worked out, actually...

Anyway, I'm using the IMR HaP gave me a long time ago for now.

HaP, if you want to give me a newer version (more security), I'd be fine with that.

The current one I'm using is IMR1_2.exe...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:57 pm 
By the way, Austin:
If it's alright with you, I think you should add the Oldbies Room to the Userlist you have on the frontpage of HoverRace.com. I think it's one of the faster rooms (and I have no idea why).

Anyway, I'll be messing around with the source a bit until I get my idea working properly, and until it has a little bit more security (thanks SF).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:25 pm 

Saying "you dont want to split the community" makes it close to a threat, but it isnt, at least i dont think, however saying "You will split the HR communitty if you dont do this." Would be a threat. Its hard to tell, but i hope that will clear things up a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:33 pm 

i was under the impression that ya'll talked about this before anything was done, but i guess i'm wrong.. :\

oldbies is about the same speed as the other rooms in my opion o.O
just not as much time outs n stuff though.

-kit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:24 pm 
Dragon, I don't need to explain myself to you, but here it is for anyone else as defensivly minded:
I was saying that I don't want to split the community, and that's why I wanted it hosted on HR.com. However, Austin and I have now come to a slightly different agreement.

Also, Austin:
Mind taking this Poll down? It seems kind-of silly to keep it up, now.

kitty gal wrote:
just not as much time outs n stuff though.

That would mean that it's faster, kitty gal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:15 pm 

Vigilante wrote:
Austin and I have now come to a slightly different

Cool!! what did you two decide on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

We decided that Vigilante would run a seperate site for his room, offered as an alternative modified exe people could choose to download if they wanted to access that room.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next